Sunday 15 January 2012

How to read a Map

In order to know how to read a map and give directions, and how to find out where something is,you need to know how to use a compass. Most people think of a compass as having 4 points, North, South, East and West, but there is far more to a compass than you would think.

A compass is a tool that shows direction. It has a small, magnetized needle in it that swings.
The needle can swing because it is balanced on a post, or because it is floating on oil or water, sometimes it is balanced and floating at the same time.The needle swings so that one end of it is always pointing to the magnetic north pole.

The compass has four main points, or cardinal points. These are North, South East and West.
Intercardinal points are the points half way between the cardinal points. They always begin with North or South. They are Northeast, Southeast, Southwest and Northwest.

Some maps have grids on them. Can you locate where Choa Chu Kang is?








21 comments:

  1. I leant how to read a map.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had learnt to read the map. Choa Chu Kang is at B2/A3.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live at Bukit Panjang A4B2. On weekdays, I live with my Grandparents, we are at A3B2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My home is at A4B2.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learned to read a map when I was in high school. We were to go to Italy and so I bought Italy Road Map from an online store. Necessity made me learn to read the map. Thanks for the instructions on reading and understanding the map.

    ReplyDelete